Friday, June 7, 2013

Making Rap Beats Takes Skill


Pardon the rather obvious message that the title of this post gives, but I thought that I’d point out a little something here. Earlier today I was talking with one of my friends at work who feels that rap beats are nothing compared to the music being composed by people playing in bands. I know that the guy has a very narrow minded view of things, especially with his latest statement, but I respected his opinion and politely disagreed with him. I also listen to metal music every once in a while and I am aware of the talent that these guys have in terms of being able to compose their own music with their instruments. However, the people who make rap beats and instrumentals aren’t slouches either because creating the perfect rap beat requires a ton of skill.


Anyone can mix up random bass lines, drum lines, and other sound effects only to come up with a jumbled mixture of sounds that don’t even complement each other that well, but only the truly skilled music producers can come up with a beat that is not only catchy, but goes hand in hand with the lyrics of a specific rap song.
I don’t hate my friend for saying what he did earlier today, but I just wish he’d try to do a little more research next time before he says such dumb things.  I respect anyone who can make beats from scratch and I think that they deserve just as much credit for their beats the way that rappers get credit for their rhymes.

In short, give respect where and when it is due because all musicians deserve them at one point or another.

1 comment:

  1. Really great post thanks for sharing! I'm a beat maker / music producermyself, and I have people visiting my website all the time to buy beats. My co-producer and I now have over 200 beats for sale

    ReplyDelete