Friday, June 21, 2013

So You Want to Be a Rapper?


I have a nephew who has been influenced by me somewhat in terms of his taste in rap music. He’s currently 13 years old and about to enter junior high and he is one of the smartest kids I have ever known.  Now I didn’t force him to listen to the rap music that I love. He just decided on his own that he actually likes old school rap better compared to today’s rap music.  I let him borrow some of my old rap albums and told him to give them a listen, and I also warned him about the lyrics being overly explicit, but he didn’t mind because he wasn’t going to take them to heart anyway. That’s a smart kid right there, folks.

A week after listening to Tupac’s “Me Against the World” album, my nephew came up to me and said that he was truly moved by some of the songs, especially because of the messages that they had in them. He said that most of today’s rappers can even hold a candle to Tupac’s artistry, which to me was beyond beautiful. He also told me that he was so inspired that he wanted to become a rapper himself, or at the very least, become involved with the rap music industry.

I am happy for my nephew because he has found something to believe in and now has a dream he wants to chase, but I also want him to finish his education first. I told him that there is nothing wrong in wanting to be a rapper, but he has to get his diploma first because getting an education is one of the most important steps to take in reaching your goals.
 
Being the smart kid that he is, he immediately understood where I was getting at and told me not to worry because he knew how important his education is and that he had no plans of quitting school. Damn, how in the world did I ever get such a smart nephew? I do hope one day he can become a rapper because this kid has the skills to make a legend like Tupac proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment