Friday, May 24, 2013

My Take on Today’s Rap Artists

If you read my first post about why I think rappers from the past were far more gifted than today’s artists, then you probably already know that I am an old school hip hop fan. I still have a hefty collection of albums from Pac, the NWA, Public Enemy, Ice Cube, and Biggy Smalls just to name a few, and I still put these nasty boys on blast whenever I feel like taking a cruise down memory lane. As far as this new generation of rap artists go, I am just not feeling them that much. I like listening to a bit of Chris Brown and The Game from time to time, but I just can’t hold their music in the same standards of the rappers from the 90’s.

Tupac Shakur - Greatest Rapper of All Time
Nowadays, rap music is all about money, bling, cars, and who has the biggest house. It’s no longer about stories of how they struggled when they were young, how they dealt with racism, and other issues plaguing society.  Even though some of their lyrics were very explicit (gangsta rap in particular), they still had a message hidden in them. I don’t want to say that today’s generation of rappers suck because that would be straight up dissing them. Instead, I’m going to be civil here by just saying they are not as good as people make them out to be. In other words, they are overrated.

I am an old school rap fan for life and there is nothing that’s going to make me change my views on the subject. Leave me some comments below and give me your take on today’s generation of rap artists.

No comments:

Post a Comment