Friday, May 10, 2013

Why Old School Rappers Were Truly Gifted


I first started listening to rap music back when I was about 6 years old. At first, I didn’t try to fully understand the lyrics that much because I found myself being more attracted to the beats. As time went on though, I became more and more appreciative of the lyrics of some of my favorite rappers. Tupac Shakur comes into mind with his song “Dear Mama”, a tribute that he made for his mother. I still consider this to be the greatest rap song ever made and the lyrics truly touch my heart every time I listen to it.

It was then that I finally realized how truly gifted rappers are. People that casually listen to their songs have no idea just how difficult it is to come up with lyrics that are not only catchy, but also deep and convey a powerful message.   This is something that I just don’t find in most of today’s rap artists because their lyrics just don’t solicit the same kind of message as the ones in the past. Call me an old timer or whatever, but I don’t think that I am the only one feels the same way about this.
 
To be more precise, I think that the rappers from the past were far more gifted than most of the ones that we have today. I’m not saying that today’s rappers are untalented, but if you were to compare them to the ones that came before them from the 80’s and 90’s, the gap is just too big.

No comments:

Post a Comment